Jetfire HD Cooling System Rebuild?

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Jetfire HD Cooling System Rebuild?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    62cutlassconvert
    Participant

What are you HD cooling system people doing about the water pump, pulley, and fan clutch on the HD cooling system? Our 2 cars have short pumps with oversize hubs with an oversize bolt pattern, a short pulley with pilot hole for the oversize hub and oversize bolt pattern, and a very short thermal fan clutch that I haven’t been able to find anywhere. When I say oversize I mean not the standard size that seems to be available-if you have the system I think you will know. So we are looking at replacing it with a standard short pump and hub, short D&D alum overdrive pulley which is now available, and a Hayden 2765 fan clutch which is short but not as short as original but which looks to provide better (closer) fan spacing to the radiator and provides parts which are readily available. What was your solution?

Also-anyone have the system with a factory shroud?

Thanks

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Hello out there. Wondering if any of you HD cooling system people have redone your system and what did you do?

jensenracing77
    Participant

What is it you need exactly? To replace the water pump or do you have mismatched parts? For water pumps, I send mine in and have them rebuilt.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Thank you for the response. All parts are original and matching. Waterpump cannot be rebuilt due to corrosion but we could use the big hub on it and have a pump built with it. Problem is we would like to put a new fan clutch on it and as far as I know originals are not available. The WP hub and pulley will not interface with a new fan clutch that is available due to the oversize dims, I do not know of fan clutches with the orig oversize hub dimensions which are too large for a standard fan clutch these days, as far as I know. This will be a long distance driver and we don’t want to run a minimum 40 year old fan clutch on it.

So, is there a new very short fan clutch with the “oversize pattern” that anyone has sourced? The Hayden 27656 won’s fit. Has anyone reliably rebuilt the original fan clutch and put significant miles on it, like 3-5K? Long distance driving without an available parts source if something happens makes me nervous.

Welcome all comments.

jensenracing77
    Participant

Is your car an A/C car? I am not sure but think the clutch was only on the A/C cars. Can you just convert to a non clutch setup? You may be able to make a wanted add and try to find a rebuildable correct pump.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Appreciate your feedback. One of the Jetfires is a Non-A/C car and one is an A/C car both with the fan clutch and big hub pump. Without further info it appears to be the same set up if you have the HD cooling package with the crossflow rad A/C or not.

The shaft on the WP is the same regardless of HUB size so we can work out getting a pump rebuilt with the big hub and proper short spacing. But the fan is a fan clutch fan so will not bolt up without a fan clutch. Would have to change over to a regular fan. The orig fan will bolt up to a modern fan clutch like the 2765 but the modern fan clutches I have found will not bolt up to the hub. Like to stick with a fan clutch if possible.

We can switch over to a std hub short pump from a standard core with shortened shaft/D&D alum overdrive short pulley to fit the smaller hub/hayden 2765 cluch that fits the smaller hub with orig fan but was thinking with all the Jetfires on the road here that someone had a solution for the original setup that would offer dependable long distance touring.

Is everyone using the original fanclutch? Rebuilt?

jensenracing77
    Participant

Both of my Jetfires came with a non fan clutch setup and are original, also have the cross flow radiator. Do your fan blades have a 4 or 6 blade fan? I would like to have a fan clutch on mine as well. They are for sure better for long distance driving.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

They were really doing things individually back then. I agree, much better for cruising. So if you don’t have a fan clutch you probably have a long water pump. My Cutlass had a downflow rad with no clutch and a 4 bladed fan. Both the Jetfires with fan clutches have a 7 blade 18″ fan and the very short clutch and the short pulley for the big hub. The difference between short and long WP, other than the big hub which I am not using, is only the length of the shaft and you need a short pulley since the shaft doesn’t stick out as far. I converted my Cutlass from the long pump/no clutch/4 blade fan to a short pump from D&D, a alum short pump pulley from D&D, and a Hayden 2765 fan clutch. Very tight to the rad with about 3/8″ spacing from clutch fin to rad. I then went to a Northern Alum crossflow rad and matching eng driven fan shroud, that you have to customize, and a 15″ Flexalite fan clutch fan(not a flexfan). You can use a Derale 17-18″ fan clutch fan since you don’t have the shroud setup. I believe the same setup will work for you and if no one has a good solution for the original fan clutch we will be using the set up, but using the stock crossflow rad, on the 2 Jetfires under restoration. I’ll take some pics and post my setup which is different than how the Jetfire will be done.

oaklyss
    Participant

My 62 had A/C so it had the fan and clutch. There are people who can rebuild the clutches better then new.
    Water pumps are all over ebay. Get a rebuilt one and have a machine shop press your hub on to it. There are cast iron versions by Cardone 58-108 that would be more reliable. I would not use the D&D pulley as when you stray from stock, you are asking for problems.

Attachments:
    62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Great-That is the pump and hub we have on the Jetfires. Yeah, both the A/C car and the non A/C car have the clutch. I am going to the D&D pulley on the Cutlass since I don’t have any of the HD cooling setup. I agree getting the short pump and pressing on the big hub shouldn’t be an issue. Concern is the old clutch which we need to go with if using the big hub. So who did your clutch and do you have significant miles on it?

Thanks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum