62 hood grease pencil marking

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts 62 hood grease pencil marking

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Here are the correct original belts. The 582057 is early 62 and the 587000 is late 62 if I understand the parts book correct. Not sure what the difference is? I did not measure them. The 582057 is the original to our 4 speed 62 car. The 587000 was on the 62 engine I got from Ken but not sure it is original to that engine. The 587000 is at least in the parts book as a late 62.

Attachments:
    62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Here a faint driver side fender marking. Grease pencil is gone seems to have left a rust image, maybe it was before paint? Marking is VV I think for the red color and matching wheel color with a number above it.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I pulled the fluid tank off tonight and found the cloth tape over the holes for the horn bolts like the assembly manual shows.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Here are some paint markings on the heads. I would assume this would have been found on f-85 and Cutlass engines also. I found it on all three of my Jetfire engines. The driver side is a mint color and the passenger side is a green.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Now that I know the spare tire is the original to our 4 speed Jetfire I wanted to post it in this thread to continue documenting original things. This wheel is the 15 inch option and was repainted at some point and you can see the tape lines on the tire where the paint got on it next to the wheel. The white wall is 1 5/8 wide on this tire and goes all the way to the rim.

I know in 70 they used more then one brand of tire. Not sure what they did in 62 but now that I have an original picture of the car in the Summer of 62 I am sure that this is the original to my car.

Anyone have other original markings or wear items they can post? I would like to keep this thread alive for future restorers to reference. Could a moderator change the title to original markings and parts or something along those lines?

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Just found something interesting. The manual transmission Jetfire cars have a rubber plug in the air cleaner where the choke tube would go for an automatic car. These two plugs are both from known original 4 speed cars. The smaller one is from a 62 and the larger one is from a 63. Not sure if this is the standard between the two years but just found it interesting.

Attachments:
    tbirdz12
    Participant

Have you looked in the back seat for a hand written build sheet? I found one in my 63 Jet. My car is original so I will check my spare tire too.

jensenracing77
    Participant

I never found one in my 62 4 speed car and I am sure it had never been apart before me. The back seat of our automatic 62 has never been out so not sure on that one.

These three parts tags are the only thing I found in our 4 speed car.

Would you be willing to scan it and post it? Would love to see what it looks like.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

62-63 radiator differences….

I have a radiator from a 62 and one from a 63 and noticed that the two years are not the same. The 62 radiator has the petcock on the front driver side and the 63 has it on the passenger back side. This has made the radiator outlet neck a little higher on the 63 style radiator.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Radiator date codes

While finding the petcock and outlet difference above, I found the location of the radiator date codes. I figured they had a date code but never looked till now. The date code location is also different for 63 than what is on the 62 but not to far away from each other. It is located on the driver side tank and on the back (engine) side about half way down. The code runs from A to M with skipping the letter I. A would be January and B would be February and on to the end but skipping I. I looked at our 4 speed car and it was an F and the car was built in June so the date fits correct. It would obviously be possible to have a month earlier radiator in the car if the car was built early in the month.

These two radiators are date K and L.

Attachments:
Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum