Member: Jetfire1

Member: 62oldsf85

Member: JetfireGuy

XTR Prototype
(courtesy of General Motors)

Member: JimNoel

Member: JimNoel
Custom 1962 Jetfire Wagon

Home Blog Blog Roto-5 Tranny ……… Your Out of There!!!!!

Roto-5 Tranny ……… Your Out of There!!!!!

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Roto-5 Tranny ……… Your Out of There!!!!!

This topic contains 23 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of 62cutlassconvert 62cutlassconvert 5 days, 2 hours ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of captiannapalm
    captiannapalm
    Participant

I had a th200 in my 79 monte…its crapped out. I swapped it with a th350.. just saying the th200 isn’t a good trans.

Profile photo of 62cutlassconvert
    62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Yeah, I agree the 200 and 200C had a bad reputation that was in part at least deserved on the factory units. However, with mods like metal replacing plastic internals, HD clutch discs, improved pump, modified shifting, and other internal improvements It has proven to be an effective and dependable trans in a class of drag racing and hot rods due to it’s small size, light weight, and low HP use.

Profile photo of 911pilot
    911pilot
    Participant

One of the reasons Im choice’d with a 200CR or a late model 700 is because the bell-housing adaptor offered by D&D Fabricators up in Michigan can only accommodate these 2 tranny’s. I hesitated with the 700 because of its size,; Im trying to limit the amount of sheet metal/tunnel removal and fabrication and felt the engine is under torqued to benefit with a 700. I thought going smaller is best and Im not planning on racing…..just cruising along Route 66 in the summertime! That being said what are your thoughts on a 1990 or later 700 tranny

Profile photo of 62cutlassconvert
    62cutlassconvert
    Participant

First, I am not an expert trans guy. I just do my research, talk to the experts, and go with what looks like the best option.
    When you mention the 200CR is that a typo? I think you mean a 2004R and I’ll go with that here.
    Later 700R4 I believe is known at the 4L60 which, based on what I know and see is a great trans and still has the mechanical linkage vs the 4L60E which works with a ECM. I guess the case is a little smaller on the later 4L60, I think this is the one I have heard people call the “baby” 700R4 but I am not positive. I believe the 2004R is smaller than that one but not also not positive. In either case I believe you will have significantly more tunnel mods than a 200C and will need to add a new linkage and driveshaft mods, although you do get OD. I prefer the 2004R 2.74/1.57/1.0/OD vs. the 700R4. 3.06/1.62/1.0/OD with it’s tighter ratios. The 2004R can be built very strong, I think it’s lighter than the 700, and uses less HP. Although not as strong as the 700/4L60, it is plenty strong for our apps. Check out the after market trans sites for more info-Monster, Bowtie Overdrives, TCI. We chose to go with the small 200C 3 spd trans for reasons explained previously.

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recently Active

Profile picture of Greg Oakley
Profile picture of jensenracing77
Profile picture of Doctor G
Profile picture of john-sage
Profile picture of Jim Noel
Profile picture of 911pilot
Profile picture of joe_padavano
Profile picture of jb kish
Profile picture of scott
Profile picture of twobolts
Profile picture of Ken Dennison