Roto-5 Tranny ……… Your Out of There!!!!!

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Roto-5 Tranny ……… Your Out of There!!!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    911pilot
    Participant

I have no idea….I should but i dont know …. Im out of my comfort area when it comes to tranny’s. Can you explain.

911pilot
    Participant

My plan is to swap out the Roto-5 for a 2004R and make the appropriate cutting/fabbing to allow my factory console and automatic shifter to be used. Im ordering iot through Monster getting a full conversion kit that includes an exterior intercooler, which i was contemplating doing since I have hopes to tow our 1961 Shasta trailerI realize that a fair amount of modification will be required. I plan to use the eddlebroch adapter from D&D to allow the stock air filter canister to fit right along with the manifold adaptor for the eddlebroch and the required spacers. Ill have to go with Cal linkages, converting into cable system. below, Ill may have to relocate the crossmember and shorten the DS, either cutting the original or ordering a custom DS. I haven’t decided what improvements I can do to the differential; may change the gear ratio or convert to a Posi-traction. This is the “what“….unfortunately I have no experience with the “how“. I’m trying to get smart on this so in can have an educated dialogue with the shop that is scheduled to perform this operation.

Attachments:
    62cutlassconvert
    Participant

The Roto 5 uses a “flywheel” with no torque converter. D&D can guide the shop through what is needed to drill that flywheel for a torque converter. Or, you can get a Buick 215 flex plate that was used with their auto trans, they didn’t use the Roto, and drill that to match up to the 200 TC, also gotta fab up some spacers and use the D&D adapter pilot that comes with the adapter plate. Not a big deal either way, just needs to be right.

Sounds like you need to get hold of someone who has done the 2004R conversion and get your shop guy involved directly with them and D&D, a lot can get confused in a translation. Put the word out here and on the 6163Skylark forum.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Go to the 6163Skylark site, click on Home and see the list of forum subjects. Click on Projects and you will see the subject 62skylark new transmission. fishers123 has the posting from last June that he did a conversion on a 700, but no details or follow ups. Surprisingly no one asked any questions. He may be a good source for you. Don’t know how active he is. You can do this without joining if you want. I dropped him a PM so he may see that.

911pilot
    Participant

Great!! Thanks for the direction.

captiannapalm
    Participant

good to know for future ref.

captiannapalm
    Participant

I see everyone is using an edlepuke carb… no one likes holley?

captiannapalm
    Participant

So after talking with Mark at D&D… He mentioned the 60* v6 700……Anyone use this one?

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

See page 2 of this thread for a brief discussion of the 60 degree 700.

A good exercise when planning a swap is a trip to the junk yard to check your options out for size and your application. Nothing like a laying on of hands.

captiannapalm
    Participant

how did this turn out? Any major clearance issues

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum