62 Jetfire engine, trans, & turbo rebuild

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts 62 Jetfire engine, trans, & turbo rebuild

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    jensenracing77
    Participant

i had antifreeze under the engine when this car was together. i couldn’t find where it was coming from but thought it must have been the weep hole in the water pump. well, i figured it out. there is a bad spot in the casting on the intake on the bottom side. it is a very small leak but before i cleaned it you could see where it had been leaking. i cleaned the area with glass bead and then put it in my friends ultrasonic cleaner. i took it to two differant weld shops and both told me the same thing. they are telling me that the way this looks it would be best not to weld it. i don’t know anything about welding but i thought this would be no problem for them to do. both places recommended that i use a high temp epoxy called devcon. i have used the stuff before on ATV engines and works great but not sure i want to go that way on this. any recommendations?

intake1

intake2

Attachments:
    JimNoel
    Participant

Boy, I am with you. I would not use any ‘glue’ to seal up the intake! If you can’t find a welding shop to do the job, I have a great one right here that will ‘get’er done’!

jensenracing77
    Participant

more bad news. i just can’t win. i was inspecting the intake on the inside everywhere i can see and found what looks like a bad crack coming down from the area of the bad casting. i can’t see where it comes through to the outside. my buddy that has the ultrasonic cleaner also has a video scope. i will look at it better with his camera but i am sure it is bad. anyone have a Jetfire intake for sale?

macf85
    Participant

Just wanted to throw my two cents in here. I agree with Jim that welding is the way to go unless you discover that the cracks you found will force you to find a different intake. I see that your from Indiana. If you’re in Indianapolis surely you can find a good welder capable of working with aluminum. Also, while you have the engine apart you should have your main bearing caps magnafluxed. When I rebuilt my 215 with 4-barrel the machinist found cracks in the #2, #3 and #4 main caps. I got good used replacements from D & D Fabrications at aluminumv8.com. Also, if you’re still looking for pistons I got my new replacements from EGGE Machine at egge.com

jensenracing77
    Participant

after looking at the intake with a video scope i think i had better get another manifold. the crack on the inside looks like it is in line with an intake runner. i can’t see that the crack goes all the way through but i don’t want it to do it after i get a new engine together. i will be calling about one later tonight. to bad i couldn’t have found it before i cleaned it.

jensenracing77
    Participant

i done some work on the generator tonight. bead blasted the end caps and painted the pulley and fan with high temp aluminum. the bearings were in great shape. I’m sure i should replace them as cheap as they are but there is nothing wrong with them. i took the seals out and cleaned them. packed new grease in them and put the seals back in. i need to get a new O ring for the back cap where the bearing goes. the brushes look good so i am just repainting it and cleaning it and it is going back together. i would like to recolor the bolts and pulley and all the little parts but i am just painting the bolt heads and parts. this is going to be a driver so i hate to put the money in coloring all the little parts just to have to do it again in a future quality restoration.

gen1

gen2

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

finished my generator. don’t laugh to hard at my paint work on the tag. the tag sure don’t look good. also picked up a couple NOS parts. my transmission mount is bad so i got this one. also picked up this fluid depressurization valve. wonder if it would be any good after close to 50 years sitting in the box? the guy i got the valve from has another one if anyone is interested. how would i test this valve Jim?

generator

fluid

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

i had to solder the tube back on the back of the air breather. i got a little to much on it and it puddled off to the side a little. i got it painted and it isn’t noticeable. also wondering about the float for the fluid tank. did it have a rubber gasket under it or some kind of sealer? what ever it is supposed to be, this one was dried out so much that i couldn’t tell if it was a gasket or sealer. i did find that a rubber gasket we use at work fits perfect. i think i will try to use it. the only problem with it is that it has one hole that is offset just a little. i will have to drill a new hole in the gasket for that one hole. also got other parts painted today. i just sold an NOS Cadillac part on eBay for enough to get my heads done so they will be next.

fluid float

breather

Attachments:
    bcroejuno-com
    Participant

jensenracing77 post=300 wrote: finished my generator. don’t laugh to hard at my paint work on the tag. the tag sure don’t look good.

I drove those cars 1/3 million miles, and the generator was a reoccurring problem.
    Biggest thing was brushes failing every 40,000 miles. I got a bracket from a 63
    and installed an internally regulated alternator from the 70s, bolt in. I got rid of
    that clumsy voltage mechanical voltage regulator and a bunch of under hood wiring.
    The GEN light still works, rewired directly to the alternator. Saves some weight.
    Bruce Roe

jensenracing77
    Participant

not much done lately. started working over time at work. i painted more parts and cleaned and reassembled the rocker assemblies but that is about all. i did get the heads sent to D&D.

rockers

rocker shaft

Attachments:
Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum