63 Jetfire 4 speed barn find car

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts 63 Jetfire 4 speed barn find car

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I have always liked the 62 better but this car is growing on me. I did not plan to keep it long term but now I am not sure. I guess I need to talk to my wife and see what she thinks. If you don’t hear from me in a couple days she killed me, lol.

macf85
    Participant

Congratulations. Your’e the barn find king. It’s not easy finding unmolested original cars these days.

jensenracing77
    Participant

That is the funny part about this car. I had called the guy and told him that I was not interested in the car but had questions for him. From the email that was forwarded to me I was under the impression that he was going to get it out and clean it up to sell it. I wanted to tell him to PLEASE not clean it up yet. I had him send me pictures “as is” because I had a friend that would possibly put it in Hot Rod magazine as a barn find story. I forwarded the pictures and Ryan did want to do a story on it. The more pictures the owner sent me the more I fell in love with the entire barn find aspect of it and that it was so solid. I ended up talking myself into buying it and getting it road worthy again.

Ryan just done a small story on my other Jetfire cars and stuff that should be out in the magazine soon. With that, he said it will likely be over a year before this story comes out. They don’t want to saturate the magazine with to much Jetfire stuff to close together.

jensenracing77
    Participant

I wanted to take the car to MCACN with all the barn dirt but my allergies simply would not let me. I took the garden hose and lightly ran water over it to get the thick stuff off. It is still filthy on the outside but at least I can work on it better now.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Also started cleaning the interior parts and deodorizing the best I can. It already smells much better but I still need to get the heater boxes out. The oil supply line to the turbo is not wanting to come apart without twisting the line so I have used some heat and oil on it. I am hopping to get it to loosen up by the weekend so I can finish getting the heater box apart. I am afraid I will have to cut it and use one from my spare engine.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Had a rainbow show up while working on the car today.

I got the heater boxes apart and cleaned up. Pulled the turbo and found that the foot flange gasket is really good. Very happy about that.

I was able to get the oil feed line apart without braking it. Took lots of oil and some heat many times for the past two days. This oil feed line is the best unbent one I have ever found. I am sending it to Inline tube to be duplicated. I was going to do this a couple years ago but I did not have a perfect one to have copied.

I pulled the float cover off the carb and I did not get as lucky as I did on my 62 4 speed car. I am going to have to rebuild this carburetor. I am not restoring anything, just doing a rebuild on the carb to get it running.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I now know why the car was parked. I pulled the valve covers and distributor to prime the oil pump. Also changed the oil and filter. I first check the valves and none of them were stuck. I then primed the pump and still had a couple rockers loose. I thought I had stuck lifters like I did my other 4 speed car so I pulled the intake. I found that one push rod was bent. With the valve not stuck I feared the worst, Sure enough, the cam went flat. Whoever restores this car is going to rebuild the engine anyway so I did not really want to put a new cam and lifters in it. I still have the original cam and lifters from my wife’s Jetfire and they were still very nice. I am going to install those into this engine to get it on the road again. The next person can replace for new ones when they do the full restoration.

Whoever installed the spark plugs back in the 60’s used anti-seize! I would sure like to find that guy and thank him… They came right out. I will put new plugs in.

The inside of the engine is very nice. I was betting that it was going to be all sludged up.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

You can see in this picture that the first cam lobe is shot. There are others that are bad also but that is the worst one and the one I found the bent push rod on. I check the used cam from my wifes car with an NOS one I have. I just measured the overall lobe with the base circle. The used cam is correct on all lobes and no wear at all. I have to get a timing set for it now. I am sure not going to put a used one of those in

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I am using pet deodorizer to get the mouse pee smell out and it is working great. I had used dish soap and bleach and all kinds of stuff and it was getting much better but after using this I think the smell is completely gone. I will not know for sure till I leave it closed up and set it in the sun. That will be the best test.

I pulled the tank and it is really nasty inside. I think I am going to put an extra one I have in it instead of cleaning this one.

I also got better pictures of the bottom side. I still have not put it on my lift. I will get better pictures of it then.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Still has the 4 speed distributor.

I was going to just clean out the carb and put it back on the car but it was to far gone. It needs completely rebuilt. Now I have to decide if I will put the rebuilt carburetor on my extra turbo (the first one on our automatic car that Jim built) and make it a working system. I had other plans for that turbo but I may use it on this car since this carburetor needs a major overhaul. I tested the boost limit control diaphragm, throttle return check, and even the distributor vacuum canister and they all work as they should. I am leaning toward just putting a fully functioning system on the car and see what happens.

Attachments:
Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum