63 Jetfire 4 speed barn find car

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts 63 Jetfire 4 speed barn find car

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Well, Till I know more about the engine and how it runs I decided to just do a basic rebuild on the carburetor and put it back on the turbo and fluid system. I hate doing that because anyone restoring the car in the future will have to take apart everything I just done. If it don’t rain tomorrow I should be able to start the car up. I have not put a battery in it yet so I could have other electrical issues. I can’t find anywhere that mice have chewed the wiring so I am hoping to not have anything shorted out.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

After an over 40 year hibernation it is alive!

I only had a float bowl full of gas in it so it only ran a couple seconds. I did not want the pump feeding more fuel to it till I knew what would happen. This way if there were a fire it did not have much gas to cause problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJeUoQy98sc&feature=youtu.be

jensenracing77
    Participant

Here is another video. I have it running really good now. I had changed oil in it before I started it up to begin with but after running it tonight for an hour I changed it again. Had an oil leak at the oil pump that I fixed also.

This video is not public so it is only by link. I will not likely post any more videos public till a later time. A more professional video is being made of this car and will be featured in a publication sometime next year. Till then I am keeping the public videos at a minimum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44Dfejfw_rY&feature=youtu.be

jensenracing77
    Participant

Working on the brakes now and going really well. I can reuse all the brake lines (other than the rubber ones) and all the wheel cylinders and master are rebuildable. I believe I will be able to take this car for a drive by the end of the day Saturday!

jensenracing77
    Participant

I have brakes now! Took it for its first drive. I went a little over a mile round trip. The video turned out sideways..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noWuehg8OoQ&feature=youtu.be

oaklyss
    Participant

Great work Eric!

jensenracing77
    Participant

I installed the carpet, back door panels and seats today. I am almost done with the interior. I took it for another drive. I went around the block (4 miles) and all went well. I stopped and checked the temp and it was only 170. I do not have a thermostat in it for now. I decided to go around the block again but it died on me after 1 mile. I called my wife and she sent my 12 year old girl to fetch me on the SXS. She pulled me home with it and done a great job of pulling me. Turned out that the fuel pump quit pumping. I changed it out and all is good again.

tbirdz12
    Participant

did you find a build sheet stuck under in the springs of the back seat? Hand written and looks like Dead Sea Scrolls… Awesome find.. but now I need to change my stats on my showboard, lol

jensenracing77
    Participant

I did not find any documents under the seat of this car. I do have the Protecto Plates.

What stats on the show board?

tbirdz12
    Participant

how many original 4 speed that are know to exist

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum