Our first 63 Jetfire

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Our first 63 Jetfire

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I needed this like a hole in my head, lol. A couple of you know this car but most don’t, this car was just finished from a 5 year restoration. It was restored to be a driver but I would say it is better than driver condition but for sure not a concourse restoration either. The owner did not know how to work on it and the restoration place did the best they could with limited information. The body and paint and interior turned out very nice. The engine was built by D&D and Jim did the turbo system.

The guy that had it restored decided to sell it only a couple months after the restoration was complete. I think he was frustrated with all the little details needing finished or needing some kind of attention and he was not able to do it. He called me up to see if I wanted it. We decided to buy it and just got it home last night from a 2 day trip to get it.

Turns out that he was correct when he said it needed some details finished. It needs MANY little details, so many that they all add up to a major project. I will get everything dialed in over the winter months and be ready for Spring.

We are not keeping this car long term. I will get it as nice as I can with all the little details working correct first. We are also going to take it and my wife’s 62 automatic car to the World of Wheels show in Indianapolis in February.

It was a blue car with automatic. He had it converted to 4 speed and had it painted Garnet Mist instead of the blue.

Attachments:
    oaklyss
    Participant

Congratulations Eric, nice car and it matches your others!

jensenracing77
    Participant

[quote quote=13227]Congratulations Eric, nice car and it matches your others!

[/quote]

I was just not meant to have any other color it looks like. I know of 3 others in Indiana that are this color but one of them does not have a white top

jensenracing77
    Participant

Looks like the boost gauge is not working for this car. I took it apart and I can not fix it. Does anyone have a good working used one they want to sell? I have two of them that don’t work and trying to weigh if it would be less to send them in and be restored or to get a good used working one.

jensenracing77
    Participant

Another question, is there supposed to be a Jetfire emblem on the hood in 63? If so, does anyone have an extra they want to sell? Also, should the chrome on the back above the bumper have F-85 on it?

JimNoel
    Participant

Hi Eric,
    Yes, the ’63 Jetfire does have a “Jetfire” emblem on the hood, just above the left side headlights. The emblem on the rear does say “.F-85”, yours just needs some red and black paint.
    Jim

Attachments:
    oaklyss
    Participant

All vacuum and boost gauges work the same with a copper coil inside that expands and contracts, so it should be cheap to get fixed. I have an extra one but it does not work and I am trying to fix it.I think the coils get clogged.

johnsage
    Participant

Hi Eric,
    I have a boost gauge that appears to work. The chrome piece is corroded, you would have to swap yours if it is in good shape.
    John

jensenracing77
    Participant

That is my other problem. The only nice looking chrome ring I have has the little tabs broken off the bottom. Not sure how to fasten it to the case. Did you test it with vacuum and pressure? I thought mine would work because the needle moves free on them but neither one works.

johnsage
    Participant

Actually I just blew on the tubing and it moved toward power, sucked on the tubing and it moved toward economy, pretty rough test. I don’t think I have a spare chrome ring. If you want I’ll send the unit to you and you can do what you want with it. I’ll never use it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum