September 4, 2016 at 9:31 pm #12237
It looks good in the video but I have not washed it yet. I am taking it to the MCACN show in the barn find and hidden gem section. If I wash it, it would disqualify it. The paint is not terrible but it has 100’s of chips and scratches. Almost all the trim will look real good after I clean it up. The MCACN show is mid November so it may be Spring before I clean this car up.September 6, 2016 at 8:51 pm #12242
No brakes but it drives. After this I drove it one mile. Where I live we have no traffic and you can see a car coming for a mile. I did pass a car but seen them coming and just pulled over till they passed. Tricky with no brakes. I will likely start working on them soon.September 7, 2016 at 11:42 am #12244
Took it for another drive this morning. Went 2 miles round trip. Still no brakes so did not get off my road. It shifts through all 4 gears real good. I let it run when I got home and it would not get above 180 degrees at idle. Then I bumped the idle up to 2000 RPM for about 2 minutes and it cooled down to 170. I could not believe it ran cool. I don’t have a thermostat in it but still thought the radiator would not be any good. I have water and a radiator flush solution in it now. I will flush that out two or three times and then add antifreeze.
I took off the master cylinder and took it apart. The inside is severely pitted. I will have to find another rebuildable one or send this off to be sleeved. I would like to find a rebuildable one if someone has one. I was just happy to have the brake lines brake loose like it was in new condition.September 10, 2016 at 10:14 am #12255
This car sometimes confuses me. The bottom side had lots of pitting and was parked in less than optimal conditions. At the same time I have no trouble removing any bolts or screws. I took the back wheel off this morning and found this drum clip still like bran new. It has a red finish and no rust on it. It must have been sealed off because of the wheel. My only problem is the drum is stuck to the axle. I will let it sit today with oil on it and see what happens.September 10, 2016 at 7:14 pm #12257
Ken is sending me another master cylinder so I should be good now. I am having trouble getting the brake lines apart. I got them broke loose from the wheel cylinders but the line is stuck inside the nuts. I heated them a little and hit them with penetrating oil so I hope they will come loose soon without braking. I fear that the wheel cylinders will be as bad as the master cylinder was. I hope not but we will see.
I was able to find the stuck spot of the e-brake cable. I oiled it up good and heated it up so that it was warm to the touch. I did this 3 times before it broke loose. Now the e-brake works good.September 12, 2016 at 6:53 pm #12259
I got the master cylinder from Ken today. Thanks Ken! I took it apart and this thing is perfect inside! I honed it and installed the new kit and will try to install it this week. I can not get the wheel cylinders off without braking the brake lines so I will just put it on and bleed the brakes and see what happens. I know the wheel cylinders will be stuck and maybe even pitted but will cross that bridge later. I am going to have to get a new brake line set to get the wheel cylinders off. I have heated and used tones of oil but the brake line nuts will simply not come loose from the lines. The lines are going to twist in half.September 14, 2016 at 6:49 pm #12268
I picked up these NOS caps for the 15’s. After the MCACN show I will likely list the used ones on the car if someone is interested in them. The ones on the car are pretty nice but not perfect. Does anyone have the correct 15 inch trim ring? I would like to get an extra ring.September 18, 2016 at 10:00 pm #12272rosecityOldsParticipant
Great colour combination.September 23, 2016 at 6:33 pm #12282
The guy that found this Jetfire just did a new You Tube video of the day they found it and the day they hauled it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5Zl-hdM40kSeptember 30, 2016 at 7:32 pm #12289
No pictures but I got much done on the brake system. I had to replace the two axle brake lines and the line running from the front to the back axle. All three were to rusty to reuse safely. The front two brake lines are a little rusty but seam to be solid enough to be safe. I will replace those when I rebuild the engine at a later date. I rebuilt all 4 wheel cylinders, all of them were very nice inside and no pitting in the bores. I only had one bolt brake off out of all the wheel cylinders and I got that drilled out and tapped without any problem. Tomorrow I plan to mount the last wheel cylinder and bleed the brakes and should have good brakes after that.
I am getting my hopes up to much… I am hoping to drive this thing around tomorrow.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.