Picked up a 4 speed jetfire

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Picked up a 4 speed jetfire

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I got the brakes finished Saturday and took it for two short slow drives. The tires are junk so I kept it at 30 MPH or less. I did get it to 35 one time but not long. Runs and drives good and not even a hint of overheating. Ran at 160 degrees the entire time but it was a cool day. The video is not worth watching but thought I would post it. It is hazy because the windshield is still dirty from storage since 1974. I will not clean it till after the MCACN show in Chicago next month.

A great surprise is that the turbo is not leaking oil any more. After the MCACN show I will clean it up and work on the fluid metering valve, update the depressurization valve, and change out the check and relief valve and see if this thing will boost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_pm84mKcJ4

jensenracing77
    Participant

Getting ready for the MCACN show in Chicago and had all three cars out at the same time. I will post some pictures from the show. This will be the first time for a Jetfire to be at that show.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Move in day at MCACN! A guy from Hod Rod Magazine Seen me pushing the extra engine in and shot a tone of pictures. I was not even set up yet and was wanting pictures of me with the car and engine. It is not even close to show day and people are going nuts over it. Lots of fun. I think I will be wore out by the time Sunday night rolls around.

Attachments:
    oaklyss
    Participant

That’s awesome Eric, good job.

jensenracing77
    Participant

I only have antenna TV so I will not see it but there are a couple satellite shows that will likely have this car on it. They did not interview me but they did interview Ryan Brutt about the car. He is the Hot Rod Magazine guy that was part of finding the car.

The car has gotten lots of attention and has been fun. Several magazine people taking pictures. Will be interesting to see how many actually post any pictures of it. More pictures taken of the engine I got from Ken than anything else in the entire show I think.

Also got some GREAT leads on another Jetfire and some Jetfire parts. Even found a guy that has a complete Turbo engine and turbo setup right in my own state of Indiana. I did not believe him at first but then he showed me a picture of it he had on his phone.

One more day to go. I will update you when I get home tomorrow.

Attachments:
    macf85
    Participant

Very nice display Eric! Is this an indoor show? Are there any other cars as interesting as the Jetfire?

jensenracing77
    Participant

There are Muscle cars and Corvettes of all caliber here. From real Shelby Cobras to a 1000 point 69 W-30. You name it and it is here. All indoor show in Chicago.

I got the Mr Chevy “Goin’ Like Heck” award! I was sure surprised by that. Larry Frees is an incredibly great guy!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvqNgDysv8U

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I never had time to get a picture when there were 20 to 30 people surrounding my car and engine but this was a slow time and snapped one of how it looked around the engine almost the entire time. At times there was waiting line to get a look at the engine. People were really amazed that these cars were ever made.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

3:00 AM and just got home. The road was getting real wobbly on me the last 25 miles. I am getting to old to drive like that.

jensenracing77
    Participant

Here are some pictures after cleaning it two times. The first time was with dish soap and hard scrubbing. It did not do very well at cleaning the years of dust and gunk. This morning I used some industrial degreaser diluted with some water and more hard scrubbing. This worked MUCH better but the paint has lots of stains and chips in it. I think I am going to take it to my body guy and see what he can do with it to shine it up a little better. The pictures look good but in person it needs some attention. Started to clean under the hood but have a long ways to go. I have not touched the interior yet. I am real happy with how the chrome is turning out.

Attachments:
Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 100 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum