Restoration of our 62 4 speed Jetfire

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Restoration of our 62 4 speed Jetfire

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 210 total)
  • Author
    jensenracing77
    Participant

[quote quote=14921]Eric, how did you get the glass out without cutting the gasket? Steel Rubber has the gaskets but I don’t know how good they are. Does the window trim come out with the window and gasket? Or did you remove the trim first? I would guess Ebay is the best source for the clips but you have to know what other GM car would use them to help widen the search.[/quote]

The trim has to come off first. I tried to get the trim off without hurting the clips but most of my clips had just enough rust on them to make the brake. I did bend a couple good ones though.
    For the glass. They are bonded into the frame even though they are a rubber gasket. I just got under the gasket with a 90 degree pick and pulled it though the gooey sealer they used. After that and with the interior trim off around the back glass I just had to push it out while running my pick around the rubber on the inside. It come right out. I already have a new gasket but I am going to reuse the original.

jensenracing77
    Participant

Thanks for the information Mac. I will check them out. My trim was even all the way around and I am sure the back glass has never been out so I am assuming that I have to have the different lengths of clips.

macf85
    Participant

If you’re able to find one, the factory manual lists tool #J-7898-01 for the reveal molding trim removal. Here’s the factory manual page with a photo and instructions how to use it.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I got the weatherstripping removed without hurting it. Also got he headliner out in good shape. As long as it cleans up good I will reuse it. The car was smoked in so it is stained really bad. I sure hope to reuse the headliner and also marked the holes that the bows come out of so I can put it back right were it was. I am glad to see the roof insulation is in good condition.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Started removing the side trim tonight. Nearly all the clips are still good. I think there are around 6 so far that I will have to replace so far. I will wait to pull the front fender trim till after I remove the fenders.

Attachments:
    oaklyss
    Participant

Eric can you show what the clips look like and how they attach in the area by the wheel well?

jensenracing77
    Participant

I will get some pictures in a couple days. I can’t work on it tomorrow I don’t think. It is best to take the back seat out and door panels off to get them off. Some are hard to reach but you van get to the back side and squeeze them with small pliers and push them out. I was able to slide a couple of the quarter trim off and leave the clips then take the clips out form the outside.

jensenracing77
    Participant

A little more done. The driver side fender is junk but I pretty much already knew that. Also more rust in the headlight areas than expected but I have NOS parts for all that area. NOS driver side fender, headlight assemblies, parking light assemblies, valance, front side fillers and even the little metal pieces between the inner fender and headlight panels are NOS. I will also be using NOS grills, bumper guards, headlight housings, and hopefully an NOS bumper. Not sure I will be able to get the bumpers. Nearly all the front of the car will be NOS.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I was able to pull the Shell oil change decal off without hurting the one under it. This one has been torn off some but was able to still get some more history information from it for what it is worth. The Shell oil change was 06-20-1970 with 42724 miles. The one under it is 23960 miles but the last digit of the date is gone. 04-27-6?. The one under the hood has all the ink missing so not sure on that one. I got it in 2015 with 44,000 miles. Last plated in 1974.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

The beltline weatherstrip and window fuzzies are still really nice on this car. I was able to get the driver side door apart and not hurt them. I sure hope I can do the same for all the others.

Attachments:
Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 210 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum