Member: JetfireGuy

XTR Prototype
(courtesy of General Motors)

Member: JimNoel

Member: JimNoel
Custom 1962 Jetfire Wagon

Home Blog Blog Restoration of our 62 4 speed Jetfire

Restoration of our 62 4 speed Jetfire

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Restoration of our 62 4 speed Jetfire

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  62cutlassconvert 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I am starting a new thread on our 4 speed car. For anyone looking for previous information refer to this thread…

We are finely starting the restoration on this car. This will not be a 1000 point trailer queen when done but it will still be a very high quality restoration. We will be driving this car when it is done. The plan is to reuse as much as I possibly can. I even plan to reuse the original weatherstripping if I can take my time getting it all off without damaging it. I want to just freshen up the engine with new rings, cam, lifters and normal wear items. I do not want to bore the engine and sure hope the cylinders check out good. I only want a stock engine.

For the interior, I am hoping that we can do the car and leave all the original paint on the interior and inside the trunk. I have already detailed interior and dyed the carpeting and is all original. I will not need to spend any money on the interior other than attempting to dye the headliner. My body guy thinks we will be able to dye the headliner without removing it and still retain the pattern. I guess if it don’t work we will have to replace it. The headliner is stained with tobacco tar.

I plan to start disassembly in the next couple weeks and have the body to the body shop before June. My guess is that he will have it close to a year and then the assembly process. I don’t know if I will make it but may try for the 2019 nationals if they are not to far away.

I will post a couple pictures of the condition it is in now. If you are new and want previous information please look at my link above.

My 62 convert is not in as nice shape but I am keeping it a survivor with no repaint. The interior paint was pretty oxidized (convert) with some bubbles here and there. I used a very fine polishing compound by hand and then paste wax and it came up very nicely. Even used Eastwood clear Rust encapsulator on the rear trim panels for the quarter windows after a 1200 grit sanding to remove some surface rust and it came out OK, not restoration quality but it’s a survivor and looks good. Your coupe should come out nice.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recently Active

Profile picture of mikepoe59
Profile picture of jensenracing77
Profile picture of john-sage
Profile picture of 62 Cutlass Convert
Profile picture of Ken Dennison
Profile picture of Greg Oakley
Profile picture of Nicolas
Profile picture of macf85
Profile picture of joe_padavano
Profile picture of Clint
Profile picture of Jim Noel